Sunday 17 March 2013

Mad Melbourne Weather

Hi fellow Melbournians

I was just sitting going over some studies and thought to myself, "This time last week I was studying in a sarong and not much else and was sweating like a pedo at a Wiggles concert.  This week I am in long socks, long pants, long sleeves and a scarf"  That's Melbourne for you, although I would much prefer this week to last weekend!



I am trying to find another RSS reader to use now that Google has announced it is ceasing Google Reader from 1 July 2013.  I think I have decided that I am happy with Feedly but in saying that I am having trouble adding my classmates Blog pages to Feedly.  This was easy in Google Reader, but I will not let Feedly beat me, I will prevail.

Suzie Bull and I went along to Swinburne during the week to attend the Academic Writing Workshop. 

We headed down early to get our student cards, woo hoo, cheap travel and movies!!!!, and to visit the library and bookshop.  Working in a library it is always interesting (and more than a little bit sad to visit a library on an afternoon off) to see how others do the same thing you do.  I was most impressed with the size of the place and the quantity of technology they have.  Mornington Peninsula is a relatively small library service with very limited technology available.  

After the library we visited the bookshop and brought a Swinburne t-shirt each, couldn't be a student without a university t-shirt! before heading to the workshop.

Liz Hooper was an excellent presenter and walked us through the differences between Report writing and Essay writing in a manner that was very easy to understand.  The Harvard method of referencing was also explained very well.  The PowerPoint presentation used by Liz is available on the Swinburne blackboard for anyone that did not make the sessions.




4 comments:

  1. Love the academic workshops! They're great! Also, bitching about Melbourne weather is one of my favourite pastimes. The Queenslander in me cannot believe I was in boots and jeans today and that its possible for the temperature to drop during the day. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do say variety is the spice of life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yet by mid week it will be pushing 30 again! The joy of living in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god no, I would rather snuggle up in my scarf and woolies and have the fur kids keep me warm....

    ReplyDelete